Search This Blog

Sunday 2 May 2010

Reality & Perception

I don't what it is about me, whether it's because I'm an ex-fundamentalist, ex-conservative, or ex-whatever; more and more lately I've been finding that reality affects my perception. Things I've long believed I've been questioning because reality doesn't seem to quite match up with them, and so I question, and explore and investigate.

I've always held that 'beliefs' matter, but lately I've been discovering that 'trust' matters more. For me it's been a journey of moving from knowledge 'about' things to trust 'in' things. More of a case of conviction trumping certainty...

To be continued... (after food)

1 comment:

  1. I used to be comfortable with my naive black and white opinions. But the more you realise life isn't like that, the more you have to deconstruct your beliefs.

    So for example, I used to hang around in evangelical circles, until I realised that was no place for a left-wing, gay creative with a natural bent for rebellion.

    The problem is, what you're left with is lots of greys and uncertainties. Which is okay, but we all need to hold on to something - hence the yearning for trust.

    Trust is nice because it's solid and helps us know who we are and what we're about. But it's also wavy and vague and we don't have to define it, unlike belief.

    ReplyDelete